EBVs for in-flock data?

A forum for discussion of these genetic measurement tools.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
HomesteadNowhere
Familiar Face
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

EBVs for in-flock data?

Postby HomesteadNowhere » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:41 pm

It seems a little costly but I can definitely see how useful it can be. I was curious how good it is for people that don't have animals linked to others or breeds that there is only a couple flocks. I was very curious how well does it work for in-flock data? I've been watching a lot of the webinars to give me ideas for better data management. Thanks!
Katie
Homestead Nowhere

OogieM
Old Hand

Re: EBVs for in-flock data?

Postby OogieM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Using only in-flock data over 5 years of using it to determine the worst sheep, i.e the culls, I have increased our lamb carcass weights by 4.35 pounds and yearling carcass weights by 1.96 pounds. We have kept birth weights the same and reduced the number of ewes that need assistance, This is data from 2 years ago.

I wrote a long article about how to use EBV data in Rare breeds and in small flocks that was published in the Shepherd Magazine January 2017 issue. I still think they are very useful but are only 1 tool in the shepherds arsenal of selection systems.
Oogie McGuire
Black Sheep Shepherdess

woolpuller
Old Hand

Re: EBVs for in-flock data?

Postby woolpuller » Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 am

I have been using performance data in Canada since 1977. It took me 5 yrs before i could see an improvement in my 160 registered suffolk flock. I have been ultra scanning for 12 yrs on back fat and loin eye depth. Last year one on my ram lambs loin eye epd was 4.42. up to this time they were running around 2.0. I used this ram back in my flock and anxious to see were it puts us. Last year we Ai'd some of our ewes to an Aussie ram Oakwood 13003 with great performance data

Return to “LambPlan and NSIP”