New Dog Troubles

For discussion of the training and use of sheepdogs on the farm or ranch. Please try to avoid discussion of training for trials or other competition; there are plenty of other groups for that purpose.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Saffronsheepranch
Old Hand
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New Dog Troubles

Postby Saffronsheepranch » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:04 am

I have had a new dog for about 48 hours now. An older couple found a BC at their place a week ago and couldn't find the owners and couldn't deal with a dog that chases their cats and cattle, a puppy. I think this dog is around 8 months old. I had to put my BC down some months ago, so I was glad to get a free BC that loves herding. But darn! I am not sure I can handle this dog.

How can someone keep a dog on a farm or anywhere that they don't trust? With anything? So far, she is glued to me on a leash.
I looked up her main problem. She is a strong-eyed, sticky-eyed dog. Goes into a type of trance staring at all the cats in the house, waiting for them to run. We love our 8 cats and don't want them killed. She does give the cats a berth when not fixated and the chickens etc...but only because she has obviously been yelled at a lot for pestering them. I have pens of baby quail in the house too, being a hatchery and she stares at them and then tries to eat them through the rabbit wire.

She has an instantaneous lay down on the stock. When she gets near sheep, she plops and stares. Was she taught that? Usually bad dogs and puppies just run in and start chasing. They don't have a seat and then wait for a cue.I did take her in with the sheep the first day and I did give her a cue and she chased them stupidly and it took me 60 seconds to catch her which seemed like an eternity. I don't know why I did that exactly... Just to see, I guess, to introduce the sheep to the new Cheyenne in their lives. I am not sure if she will go herding on her own if left free but I assume so, since she freely chased the older couple's cattle.

She chewed up everything in my office yesterday because we had plans to go to the water park all day and had to put her in a room for the day. I should have left my 3 other dogs in with her to moderate her behavior. My dog pack does a good job of rehabilitating dogs. The dog I put down a few months ago was the alpha dog though and she would have made this puppy tow the line and become easy in her mind but I think the catahoula dog is in charge now whom was rehabilitated by coming to us but she was pressed unwillingly into joining the pack and cares not for leading. They are really independent dogs; we just won her over.

I do have a training plan in place and she can help work stock tonight, watching on a leash at first outside and then I will let her push sheep into pens in the barn also on a leash. Then I will make a round pen and then start using small paddocks to see how she works and what kind of dog she is but not sure I can do all this fast enough to keep her engaged. As it is, I think I will have to exercise her down the road while I drive my 4-wheeler and she is on a leash lest she beat me back to my farm or just start herding other people's cattle. I don't think we have bonded enough that she has a good come or would even have one if we were bonded.

She is very sweet, loving, loves people, kids and other dogs. Well, she gets on well with all dogs but nobody really exists for her yet; only her mission in life: to herd. I don't want her to live on a chain her whole life. Hopefully, she can learn that she can only work stock with me. I don't know...

kirsten
Kirsten Wendt
Missouri

Polypays4U
Old Hand

Re: New Dog Troubles

Postby Polypays4U » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:11 am

IMO, Border Collies should be in a kennel away from livestock when they are not with you. Keep them with you as much as possible.That will keep them out of trouble and they will be a better helper.
Bill Hardman
Uncompahgre Polypay Farm
Delta, Colorado
The western home of productive Polypays.

Saffronsheepranch
Old Hand

Re: New Dog Troubles

Postby Saffronsheepranch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks. She is improving by the day in everything. Just wish she loved me as much as she loves the cats! She doesn't want to eat them- fortunately. And does not come out of a trance and attack/go grip- fortunately. She is joining the pack somewhat and may just turn out to be a good all around dog, especially for herding. I just panicked. I don't know how old she is but she is chewing up everything. I think I will leave some sticks around my house for the hours we are sleeping. And get lamb bones back from the processor if there are any.
Kirsten Wendt
Missouri

Return to “Working stockdogs”