Anti-climatic breeding story

A place to share Good News
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Blackshire
Old Hand

Anti-climatic breeding story

Postby Blackshire » Mon May 20, 2019 7:39 pm

It's one of those occasions that pop up from time to time in breeding where you have to shake your head and go back and start again.

The white 2 tooth (front right) in front of the black ewes was a young ewe that I had hoped for much from!

She was from excellent parents on both sides and was going to be a foundational breeding ewe...
Her sire was a pedigree ram I splashed good coin on to advance my shedding in the blacks while bringing in thin hairless tail genetics into my flock.
Her dam was a hoggett from an old foundational ewe of excellent conformation, but being from a first-time ewe, she was later born and a slow grower. She was not advanced enough in carcass size or weight to breed last year as a hoggett, (warning bells missed) so I carried her through to this year.

She shed very well and early as I breed for and had good health with no issues at all until she went to the ram! Then her hooves start to grow at a ridiculous speed requiring frequent trimming, she was pooey tailed, so got a drench, still mucky, not putting on weight like she should and generally a failure. I don't even know for sure if she is in lamb. I only run 20 odd ewes, so don't scan.

Wait and see if she is in-lamb, but she will be culled this year and her progeny (if any) will not be kept.

John
8.5 acres. 18-20 breeding ewes and 2 rams.
Running Polled Wiltshire sheep of a high caliber and trying to achieve a fully black equivalent without shedding/feet/worm resistance compromise.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Share your Success”