Lamb with balance issues?

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ChristineMac
Old Hand
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Lamb with balance issues?

Postby ChristineMac » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:41 pm

I have a 3 week old lamb from an old ewe who didnt have milk. To be honest I was surprised when she landed because she didn't look bred like the wide load sheep I have. So she had this one tiny lamb. I didnt realize she didnt have milk until second day because I was still working at the time. Anyways, lamb got colostrum, late but got and then switched to milk replacer. She had selenium and vit a &d and had her tail banded. She started out eating about 2 oz per feeding 4 times a day, then she started to suck 6 oz a couple times a day and the other 2 times she would drink a couple oz. Then she went back down to about 2 oz a feeding. She also doesnt seem to be able to stand and keeps falling forward. Then she just scoots around either on her knees or this kinda sideways shuffle on her side. So she has no fever, but I did give her 3 days of antibiotics in case she had navel ill. I also re-dosed her with selon-e and a&d and I gave her vit b today. She lost her tail today so I dr'd the end of that because it was open on the end. Anyways, now what? I tubed her today because she needed to have a full tummy-my opinion not hers. I gave her 6 oz. When I put her down, she does the fall down and when I went to the barn she was laying on her side. She always seems to lay that way. When she tries to stand it's like she is caste and cant get her feet under her. Thoughts? Thank you

Mike Wallace
Old Hand

Re: Lamb with balance issues?

Postby Mike Wallace » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:27 am

Might try some B vitamin. Sounds like a CNS thing, so may be correctable with B-12.

Return to “Breeding and lambing”