Non-traditional markets

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
Shiner
Familiar Face
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Non-traditional markets

Postby Shiner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Our markets have been in the doldrums for the past 3 months or so but this week, every large sale barn is reporting a huge jump in prices paid for lambs. They were rocking along at $1.50- 2.00 for quite some time and this week jumped to 1.90- 2.70 for 60 lb lambs, mostly hair sheep. We just put our rams on the ewes however.

greengrazer
Old Hand
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby greengrazer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Better days got sidetracked somewhere and have not made it here yet. Last weeks local market looked like one of the worst of the year.

Matt Miller
Old Hand

Postby Matt Miller » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:50 am

Market reports are down nationwide. Hopefully supply thins over the next few weeks and the market goes back up. Hopefully.

greengrazer
Old Hand

Postby greengrazer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:00 am

Looking at this weeks markets last week doesn't seem too bad.

Shiner
Familiar Face

Postby Shiner » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:30 am

Our larger markets are jumping after being closed the past 2 weeks. Hamilton had hair lambs from $2.10-3.03. I expect Gillespie County and San Angelo to reflect the same demand later this week. Hope all my ewes are bred.

Matt Miller
Old Hand

Postby Matt Miller » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:36 am

I sold 50-60 lb. fall lambs for $2.64 lb. to a local packer right before the holidays. I probably could have fed them out a bit, but I needed the space.

Shiner
Familiar Face

Postby Shiner » Thu May 02, 2019 6:08 am

Our lamb prices are rebounding after being down the last month or so. San Angelo sold 60-70 lb lambs for an average of a bit over 2 bucks per pound. Over twice as many sold this week compared to last week but still not as many as this time last year. Ramadan begins the end of this week so probably producers were trying to time sales with this.
Last year we had more interest at the end of Ramadan than the beginning but were sold out by then. Probably won't have the same situation this year as our [former] Dorper ram ended up with some big misses last fall and we cleaned up the open ewes in October/November with a new, meaty Katahdin. Lots of young lambs will be kept on pasture until the Festival of the Sacrifice in mid-August.
We may try to direct market frozen cuts this year. There has to be a huge market for moderately priced lamb. The only person selling at our farmers' market sells racks and loin cuts for $25/lb. I figure she is clearing close to $400 per lamb based on her prices.

Matt Miller
Old Hand

Postby Matt Miller » Thu May 02, 2019 6:50 am

I sold 29 lambs last week and holding onto a bunch week to week in hopes the pipeline will clear out a little and we get a bump leading up to Ramadan. I feel like I'm getting a taste of what it's like to be a day-trader; hold, hold, hold..... SELL, SELL, SELL!!!!

Shiner
Familiar Face

Postby Shiner » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:15 am

In the last 45 days, our Texas markets have seen the bottom drop out. Even light lambs are bringing significantly less than $2 per pound. I took a couple of cull ewes that I didn't want to mess with any longer plus 7 light lambs that weren't living up to my expectations to a local sale that has several Houston buyers. Check is in the mail.
I still have several individual buyers coming out to pick up animals on the farm. Just sold 2 lambs that went less than 40 lbs to ME buyers for $140 but only because I was handy and they didn't want to go to Houston. The local halal meat market guy agreed to buy 5 per week but haven't seen him in 3 weeks. Last time I talked to him, he said business was surprisingly slow.
Sheep numbers, according to USDA, have dropped almost 2% in the last year so hard to figure why the price disparity.

Matt Miller
Old Hand

Postby Matt Miller » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:19 am

I'm holding onto more than 100 lambs on full feed in the barn, waiting for the market to come back a bit. Prices are depressed in the Midwest the past couple weeks. I can afford to hold onto them for a few more weeks, but it's definitely nerve-wracking.

high plainsman
Old Hand

Postby high plainsman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 am

I just sold my feeder lambs at the auction in Ft. Collins last Wednesday. My lambs weighted 70 to 80 pounds and brought $1.85 to $1.90 a pound. Other lambs of comparable weight only brought $1.35 a pound. Another lot sold for $1.60 to $1.75. Some of the difference in price I could attribute to quality, but some looked pretty comparable. I do sort the lambs into comparable weight groups, so they are uniform in appearance when going through the ring. I do think a good presentation like that helps the price.

It did seem like the lambs sold earlier in the sale order tended to bring the higher prices. I took my lambs up the afternoon prior to the sale, so they sold earlier in the sale order. However, some lambs that sold prior to mine, brought $.50 a pound less. So it wasn't just the sale order that made the difference.

Most years the price holds pretty well here until late August. But last year the bottom dropped out by the end of June. Thus I was keen to get mine sold by the middle of June this year.

Shiner
Familiar Face

Postby Shiner » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:42 pm

This week our local and semi-local auctions had some odd numbers reported but, in retrospect, they make sense.
The heavier lambs, 70 lbs and up, brought 30 - 45 cents per pound more than lighter lambs. $1.70 - 2.40 range compared to 125-210. I thought it might have been misreporting but then remembered I have been inundated with calls from my Arabian and Turkish clients looking for sheep at least 6 months old for the Festival of the Sacrifice which is upcoming.
An interesting time of the year, marketwise.

Return to “Markets and marketing”